JABbering Stooge

Friday, July 08, 2005

What's in a list?

I suppose I only have myself to blame. For some weird (and possibly masochistic) reason while I was on break on Wednesday night, I decided to turn the breakroom TV at work to MSRNC, when what to my wandering eyes should appear, but Joedy "Dead Intern" Scarborough and - well, not tiny reindeer, but former CBS reporter Bernard Goldberg. As you can expect, Scarborough did nothing but lob softballs at the partisan hack posing as an honest journalist, who used the questions as a launching off platform for demonizing anyone who disagrees with Dear Leader in the slightest. And his new book is no different.

In talking about the book, Goldberg had this to say:
Whatever your politics are out there, you had to have noticed over the years, over the recent years, that America has gotten nastier, less civil, more selfish and, most of all, I think, more vulgar. I mean, people walk down the street and they are dropping the F-bomb as if nobody is hearing them. And they don't care if people are hearing them.


Strangely enough, I agree with Goldberg. (see links)

But the brain droppings continue:

It is somebody's fault. In this case, I am naming 100 people who I think are at fault for cheapening our culture. And I'm telling you, Joe...


And later:

So, I don't think these people, who—who, by the way, think they are smart simply because they are famous, I don't think they are adding much to the conversation by being as mean-spirited and nasty as they are.


Perhaps Mr. Goldberg should look in a political mirror sometime before he makes asinine statements like those above...

Goldberg has a problem here. The vast majority of his book by far attacks only Democrats, so how does he avoid the hypocrisy charge that he complains about Democratic name-calling while engaging in some name-calling of his own? Why it's the old, reliable Zell Miller Defense:

SCARBOROUGH: Bernie, you know, you are a self-described—well, you are not a self-described liberal, but you voted for Democrats your entire life. And yet...

GOLDBERG: Well, no, not my—not my entire life, not my recent life.

SCARBOROUGH: Most of your life. Right.

GOLDBERG: My earlier life.

SCARBOROUGH: But most of your life.


And failing that, he tries the Colorado University/University of Texas Young Republicans' defense of their professor blacklists: "B-b-but...They're not blacklists! There are (token) conservatives on them, too! (Okay, so they only receive VERY mild criticsm compared to the vitriol projectile vomited at the liberal professors, what does that matter? Why do you hate America?)"

Here are some of the conservatives that "Democrat" Bernard Goldberg "chastizes":

GOLDBERG: Well, I will tell you, I go after one radio talk show host, not Rush Limbaugh, who I think is very civil (You mean, Mr. "Don't kill all the librals" is civil?! - Ed.)


I mean, it is one thing to be a conservative talk show host. And, frankly, I agree with many of the things he says.

But when everybody is a stupid idiot whom he disagrees with, I don't think that is a good thing. (Don't know who this is supposed to be - probably Loofah Boy or The Savage Weiner - Ed.)


SCARBOROUGH: You also go after preachers.

GOLDBERG: I go after one who said that, if a gay guy looked at me funny, I would kill him and tell God he died by accident.


But none of that saves him, as the book is still full of anti-anyone who disagrees with The Most Holy George W. Christ nastiness. As the Fourth Estate's Golden Boy points out:

GOLDBERG: If they were my parents, I wouldn't be talking to them.

SCARBOROUGH: Yes, unbelievable.

Now, in your book, you write number 85 is—quote—“the dumb celebrity.” A short list includes Cameron Diaz.

GOLDBERG: Right. Right.

SCARBOROUGH: Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit, Kate Hudson, Margaret Cho and Janeane Garofalo. Number 84 is called the vicious celebrity. You list Alec Baldwin, Wallace Shawn, Sean Penn and Janeane Garofalo.

And number 83, titled the dumb and vicious celebrity, you list Linda Ronstadt, Martin Sheen, David Clennon, Janeane Garofalo.

Why you are picking on our good friend Janeane Garofalo?

GOLDBERG: Because she gives me too much ammunition.


Hey Bernie, guess what? I can make inane, sophomoric lists that serve no purpose other than to demonize the other side, too! Watch!

10 People Who Threaten Democracy

  1. Vicious Conservative Pundits (Ann Coulter, Michael Savage, Michelle Malkin, Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh)

  2. Conservative Shock Troops (FreeRepublic and Lucianne.com)

  3. "Fair and Balanced" News Organizations (Faux News, MSRNC, any Rupert Murdoch publication and The Moonie Times)

  4. Government Officials Who Lie Us Into War (George W. Bush and Dick Cheney)

  5. People Who Illegally Out CIA agents (Karl Rove?)

  6. Conservative Think Tanks (American Enterprise Institute, Hoover Institute, etc.)

  7. White-collar crooks (Enron, Tyco, WorldCom, Halliburton, etc.)

  8. Dumb, Lying, Angry Partisan Hacks Posing As Reporters (Brian Wilson, Brit Hume and Bernard Goldberg)

  9. Angry Partisan Hacks Posing As Reporters (Brian Wilson, Neil Cavuto, Jeffy Lube and Bernard Goldberg)

  10. Partisan Hacks Posing As Reporters (Jeffy Lube, Wolf Blitzer, Neil Cavuto and Bernard Goldberg)



See how easy that is? And see how it adds absolutely NOTHING to the discussion? And yet somehow it's okay to write a book about it....amazing.

We've moved! Check out the new site here!